1. Review of statistical thermodynamics ? phases of matter ? phase transitions ? Landau and Ginzburg-Landau models ? Mean field theories (3 weeks)
2. Ordered phases ? crystalline state ? elementary excitations (collective motion of atoms, of electrons, of magnetic spins, and of electric dipoles) (5 weeks)
3. Liquid crystals ? Orientational order (1 week)
4. Disordered phases ? quasi-crystals and glasses (1 week)
5. Macroscopic Quantum Effects ? Superfluidity and Superconductivity (2 weeks)
6. Defects ? vacancies, dislocations and grain boundaries (1 week)
7. Probes of condensed matter ? X-Ray and Neutron scattering (2 weeks)
1. Statistical Physics, Part 1, by L. D. Landau and E.M. Lishshitz, Pergamon (revised 2008).
2. Statistical Physics, Part 2, by L. D. Landau and E.M. Lishshitz, Pergamon (1980).
3. Condensed Matter Physics, 2nd Edition, by Michael P. Marder, Wiley (2010).
4. Principles of Condensed Matter Physics, by P.M. Chaikin and T.C. Lubensky, Cambridge University Press (1995).