Areas of Interest
- Experimental High Energy Physics
The research interests of my group are focused on understanding high energy density Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) created in relativistic heavy ion collisions at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). QCD calculations predict that a transition from normal nuclear matter to a deconfined phase of matter consisting of strongly interacting quarks and gluons, known as the Quark-Gluon Plasma (QGP), will occur at extremely high temperature and energy densities. My group is currently involved in the CMS experiment at the LHC, CERN. Research activities focus on the use of soft scattering processes to identify the properties of QGP utilizing heavy ions and search for the possibilities of QGP in high multiplicity small ion collisions which is possible due to the state-of-the-art instrumentation in LHC. In addition, my group is currently involved in the CMS Tracker detector upgradation in collaboration with Prof. Behera and Libby. Also, we are actively participating in design of comprehensive experiments for the forthcoming Electron Ion Collider (EIC) and CBM experiment at FAIR.
Current PhD Students
- PH18D015 SUBASH CHANDRA BEHERA
- PH18D026 RAGHUNATH PRADHAN
- PH19D014 NIHAR RANJAN SAHA
- PH19D027 SAYAN CHATTERJEE
- PH20D092 ROHIT KUMAR SINGH
- Simulation studies of R2( Î” Î· , Î” Ï† ) and P2( Î” Î· , Î” Ï† ) correlation functions in pp collisions with the PYTHIA and HERWIG models.
Baidyanath Sahoo, Basanta Kumar Nandi, Prabhat Pujahari, Sumit Basu, and Claude Pruneau.
Phys. Rev. C.
- Flow Dominance and Factorization of Transverse Momentum Correlations in Pb-Pb Collisions at the LHC.
Physical Review Letters .
- Jet-like correlations with neutral pion triggers in pp and central Pbâ€“Pb collisions at 2.76 TeV.
- Higher harmonic flow coefficients of identified hadrons in Pb-Pb collisions at sqrt(s_NN) = 2.76 TeV.
- Forward-central two-particle correlations in p-Pb collisions at âˆšsNN = 5.02 TeV.
- Anisotropic flow of charged particles in Pb-Pb collisions at âˆšsNN=5.02 TeV.
- Charge-dependent flow and the search for the chiral magnetic wave in Pb-Pb collisions at âˆšsNN= 2.76 TeV.
- Multiplicity and transverse momentum evolution of charge-dependent correlations in pp, pâ€“Pb, and Pbâ€“Pb collisions at the LHC.
- Centrality dependence of the charged-particle multiplicity density at midrapidity in Pb-Pb collisions at âˆšsNN = 5.02 TeV.
- Measurement of jet suppression in central Pb-Pb collisions at âˆšsNN = 2.76 TeV.
- Forward-backward multiplicity correlations in pp collisions at âˆšs = 0.9, 2.76 and 7 TeV.
- Event-by-event mean pT fluctuations in pp and Pb-Pb collisions at the LHC.
- Correcting correlation function measurements.
Shantam Ravan, Prabhat Pujahari, Sidharth Prasad, and Claude A. Pruneau.
- 2017 : (Jul - Nov) - PH1010 Physics I
- 2018 : (Jan - May) - PH1020 Physics II; (Jul - Nov) - PH1010 Physics I
- 2019 : (Jan - May) - PH1020 Physics II; (Jul - Nov) - PH1030 Physics Laboratory I / PH5211 High Energy Physics
- 2020 : (Jan - May) - PH1020 Physics II / PH5720 Numerical Methods and Programming Lab; (Jul - Nov) - PH5060 Physics Lab I (PG) / PH5211 High Energy Physics
- 2021 : (Jan - May) - PH5230 Seminar / PH5720 Numerical Methods and Programming Lab ; (Jul - Nov) - PH5060 Physics Lab I (PG) / PH5211 High Energy Physics / PH5230 Seminar
- 2022 : (Jan - May) - PH5720 Numerical Methods and Programming Lab / PH5811 Advanced Particle Physics
- 2023 : (Jan - May) - PH1020 Physics II