Our department offers research programmes for eligible students to get Ph.D. degrees in Physics under various fields of research. The programme is offered in two modes, viz. Haft Time Research Assistantship (HTRA) and Non-HTRA mode (for Project students and Staff of IIT Madras). Presently, IIT Madras provides a fellowship of Rs. 37000 pm for the first two years and Rs. 42000 for the next three years. The selection procedure is through a three-level process: (a) an initial shortlisting process based on eligibility, (b) Filtering through a Written exam, and (c) an Interview.
Post-graduate and undergraduate students satisfying suitable eligible criteria can apply for the Doctoral Research Programme twice a year (for the odd-semester and even-semester) through Institute Portal (https://research.iitm.ac.in/). The Institute portal gives the details of the academic credentials to be fulfilled to apply for the same.
For the selection of PhD Scholars to join during the January 2024 session in our department, additional eligibility will be enforced based on the following:
1. Valid GATE score (issued either in 2021 or 2022 or 2023) as per the category.
2. Valid NET (CSIR-JRF/ UGC–JRF only)
3. Valid JEST (Qualified in 2023 only).
4. Valid provisional offer letter issued by DST for the award of INSPIRE fellowship for PhD programme
5. CFTI candidates who have completed M.Sc., integrated M.Sc., Dual degree B.S - M.S., B. Tech., with CGPA 8.0 and above.
6. M.Tech. from CFTIs with CGPA 8.0 and above.
7. M.Sc. from IIT Madras with CGPA 8.0 and above.
The candidates who wish to apply for the same should note the following and plan accordingly:
1. The Written Exam will be conducted in the ONLINE mode through on 14th November 2023 for a duration of one and half hours (1.5 h) starting at 1700 hrs (5.00 PM).
2. The Oral Interview Session for the successful candidates, who cleared the written exam, is scheduled for the duration of 17th November to 19th November 2023. This oral interview session is also under ONLINE mode.
|Click here for the Ph.D. ADMISSIONS JANUARY - MAY 2024|
The available areas of research for the candidates to pursue their research career can be found in the following website: (Link).